Monday, March 8, 2010

Rickey to Obama: Stimulate minority businesses!

State Senator Rickey Hendon in his community meeting this week pointed out a tiny Chicago Sun-Times article: "watch out for those really small articles, they don't want you to know too much!" The article said black and Latino businesses are getting only 1.1 and 1.7 per cent of  federal economic stimulus contracts--even less than they got under Bush programs.  "I always say, politics is like a marriage. What if it's payday, and I take 1.1% of my paycheck home to my wife to pay the bills, and the other 98.9% I spend in all the liquor stores and floosies on my way home? I'd  end up in divorce court for sure," said Rickey.  "Obama needs to dance with who brung him, who put him in office. Ninety per cent of African Americans and 75% of Latinos voted with him. He needs to keep us strong so we can help keep him strong too.  We need these jobs in our community!"  If you agree, call the White House: 202-456-1111.